Monday, December 27, 2010

A decade of parenting!


It's hard to believe, but our oldest child turned 10 today (double digits!). December 28th, 2000 marks our foray into parenting, its seems like both a lifetime and a minute ago; I can still feeling Maddy kicking in my belly, yet it feels like she's been with us forever. When we brought Maddy home with us, neither my husband nor I had a clue what to do with her. Like others before us, we gradually figured things out, as it turns out, you can read a lot of books, but nothing fully prepares you for parenting like actually having a baby! We've both learned a lot along the way, three kids later, and I'd say we're still learning!


If you had asked me ten years ago what type of parent I'd be, I'm sure the mother I thought I'd be is far removed from the mother I've become. I'm not nearly as patient as I thought I'd be (that plan was scrapped after #2 came along), similarly, my plan for a TV-free childhood went off the rails around the same time (hmmm, coincidence? I think not!). Despite my shortcomings as a mother (we all have shortcomings, admit it!), I'd like to think I'm doing a pretty good job. I don't have particularly high aspirations for our children once they become adults, I just hope they turn out to be happy, well adjusted people who are kind to each other, and kind to others.


I hope our kids look back at their childhood with fondness, I often wonder what they'll remember. If I have any regrets, it's that we haven't taken enough pictures or captured enough moments on video. Like my own mother, I'm not a terribly sentimental person, I'm often too busy enjoying a moment to interrupt it by posing everyone for a picture. I'm trying to be more diligent about taking pictures, developing them, and organizing them into albums, not only for their benefit, but for my own. As they get older, I can feel time slipping away faster and faster, and it makes me a little sad. I'm always cognizant of the fact that one day, my babies will leave the nest, and it fills me with a bit of dread.


As per Maddy's birthday request, we spent a couple of hours at Bayshore mall this morning, where she finally realized her lifelong dream of buying an outfit at AĆ©ropostale. All I bought her was a t-shirt and pair of jogging pants, but judging from her cheek-to-cheek grin, you'd have thought I'd just bought her a prom dress. Standing in that store, bustling with other girls and their moms, I realized I've crossed over into a new phase of parenting. My little girl is growing up. She's a good kid, if her current disposition is any indicator, she's going to turn out to be a good person. My only hope for the next ten years is that they slow down!

1 comment:

  1. That's so nice :) It made me teary eyed :')
    My dd is 14 months and we're working on #2, but the last 10 years has gone by so quickly it's scary to think that the next 10 years will probably go by even more quickly. You've just got to savour each moment (and take lots of videos! Lol!)

    ReplyDelete